For more information see the 2014 HDCA Conference pages.
Category Archives: HDCA event/news
Workshop on ethics and human rights (Managua, Nicaragua)
September 9th & 13th, 2013
Managua, Nicaragua & Boaco environs, Nicaragua
The Development Ethics Thematic Group and the Human Rights, Development, and Capabilities Thematic Group of the Human Development and Capability Association (HDCA) are happy to announce a joint workshop with the International Development Ethics Association to take place immediately prior to the Annual Conference of the HDCA in Managua, Nicaragua, on September 10-12, 2013, and to be followed by a site visit immediately after the main HDCA conference.
This small, 1-day workshop, with half-day site visit to follow later in the week, will bring together a handful of local and international development practitioners, or individuals whose work directly impacts development, to lead a series of discussions on the specific human rights and ethical issues on which they work, and the significance or special challenges of this work in the Central American context. These discussions will offer participants an intimate setting for exploring these themes in practice and as they relate to one another. Issues include governance and participation, health, sustainable development, and indigenous rights, and the interplay between them.
The Monday pre-conference workshop will be followed by a Friday post-conference site visit to three local organizations: Clinica Verde, an innovative health clinic that describes itself as "a global prototype of an environmentally sustainable health clinic in Nicaragua for women and children living in poverty," and two organizations with which it is partnering. Green Empowerment/Asofenix is a renewable energy organization/partnership in the rural community of Poza de las Piedra, and AMOS Health and Hope offers community health care to hard-to-reach communities and trains community members to be health care providers. Optional participant donations will go directly to help support Clinica Verde.
Monday, September 9 (panels are tentative pending presenter confirmations):
• 9:30 am - 11:00am – Ethical and Human Rights Challenges in Nicaraguan Development
• 11:00 am - 12:30pm – Democratic Governance and Citizen Participation
• 12:30pm - 1:30pm -- lunch break
• 1:30pm - 3:00pm – Health and Human Rights
• 3:00pm - 5:30pm – Sustainable Development and the Environment
Friday, September 13:
• Site visit to Clinica Verde & partners (with optional participant donation to go to clinic)
Space is limited!! Look for a sign-up link very soon.
Expert workshop ICT4D and the capability approach
The capabilities approach has been increasingly applied in the field of ICT4D. This workshop acknowledges this growing interest and brings together key experts who have published in this area with practitioners who are trying to apply the approach in their work. The aim is to
- identify what has been achieved, in research and practice, on this conceptual and methodological frontier
- reflect on the ongoing challenges and questions which remain to be addressed.
- Dorothea Kleine, Royal Holloway / University of London, UK
- Saskia Harmsen, IICD, The Netherlands
- Ilse Oosterlaken, TU Delft / 3TU.Ethics, The Netherlands
For more information: http://ethicsandtechnology.eu/news/expert_workshop_on_the_ca_ict4d/