Here is an update of TG Education news following on from the HDCA conference in Athens:
1. Listserv: It was noted at the Education Thematic Group (TG Ed) meeting in Athens that some members of the TG are not receiving mail via the dedicated Listserv. A list of those present at the meeting was made and is being cross-referenced with the JiscMail list to make sure all are included.
2. Book proposal: There is a suggestion to include a book with a specific focus on education in the Routledge Human Development and Capability Debates series. The aim is not to publish new research but to present a critical overview of HDCA research in the area of education to a non-specialist readership. This could focus on human capital vs capability discourse, quality education or education beyond the millennium development goals. Anyone interested in submitting a proposal should contact the series editor, Khanam Virjee at Khanam.Virjee@tandf.co.uk
3. HDCA CfP: The upcoming HDCA conference 2015 will be held in Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. and the Call for Papers can be found here: http://hd-ca.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Call_for_Papers-for-HDCA-2015.pdf. As the deadline is earlier than usual (15th February 2015) you are strongly recommended to start working on your abstracts asap. Two panel proposals with a focus on education that are looking for papers include: ‘Aspirations and the Life Course’ (contact Caroline Hart at firstname.lastname@example.org) and ‘Vulnerable migrants: justice and gender equality for women’ (contact Veronica Crosbie at email@example.com) no later than Friday 30th January. If your paper proposal does not fit either of these topics, circulate your ideas via jiscmail /LinkedIn (see 4 below) and see if you can create a panel with other TG Ed colleagues. The TG Ed convenors (Sandra, Caroline and Veronica) are happy to review panel proposals before they are submitted – but no later than Friday 6th February.
4. Communication: a dedicated HDCA Education LinkedIn group has been created in addition to Jiscmail, to allow for more informal communication amongst the group. Please join HERE and start a conversation.
5. Webinars: If anyone would like to host a webinar on a HDCA-related research topic, the software 'gotomeeting' is available to all HDCA members. Please contact us for further details.
Wishing you all seasonal greetings and best wishes for 2015.
Caroline, Sandra and Veronica