This introductory bibliography lists briefings, books and articles that provide a good overview of and introduction to the human development and capability approach.
HDCA introductory briefings
- Capability & Functionings: Definition & Justification (2005)
- Capability & Democracy (2006)
- Capability & Education (2007)
- CA & Heterodox Economics (2005)
- Economic Growth & HD (2006)
- HD, CA & Human Rights (2006)
- Participatory Methods & the CA (2006)
- Ingrid Robeyns (2018), Wellbeing, Freedom and Social Justice: The Capability Approach Re-Examined, Open access: download the pdf
- Frances Stewart, Gustav Ranis and Emma Samman (2018), Advancing Human Development: Theory and Practice, Oxford University Press.
- Martha Nussbaum (2011), Creating Capabilities; The Human Development Approach. Harvard University Press.
- Séverine Deneulin with Lila Shahani (eds) (2009), An Introduction to the Human Development and Capability Approach, available online at www.idrc.ca/en/ev-143029-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html
- Sakiko Fukuda-Parr and Shiv Kumar (eds) (2009), Handbook in Human Development, Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- Amartya Sen (2009), The Idea of Justice, London: Allen Lane
- Sabina Alkire (2002), Valuing Freedoms, Oxford University Press
- Martha Nussbaum (2000), Women and Human Development, Cambridge University Press
- Amartya Sen (1999), Development as Freedom, Oxford University Press
- Amartya Sen (1992), Inequality Re-examined, Oxford University Press
- Ingrid Robeyns (2011), "The Capability Approach", The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Summer 2011 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.), http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/sum2011/entries/capability-approach.
- Ingrid Robeyns (2005), "The Capability Approach: A Theoretical Survey", Journal of Human Development 6(1): 93–114.
- Sabina Alkire (2005), "Why the Capability Approach", Journal of Human Development 6(1): 115–33.
- Martha Nussbaum (2003) "Capabilities as Fundamental Entitlements: Sen and Social Justice", Feminist Economics 9 (2–3): 33–59.
- Sabina Alkire (2002), "Dimensions of Human Development", World Development 30 (2), 181–205.
- Amartya Sen (1993)," Capability and Well-Being", in M. Nussbaum and A. Sen (eds.) The Quality of Life, Oxford Clarendon Press, pp. 30–53.
- Martha Nussbaum (1993), "Non-Relative Virtues: An Aristotelian Approach", in M. Nussbaum and A. Sen (eds) The Quality of Life, Oxford Clarendon Press, pp. 242–69.
- Amartya Sen (1989), "Development as Capability Expansion", Journal of Development Planning 19: 41–58, reprinted in: Sakiko Fukuda-Parr and A.K. Shiva Kumar (eds.) (2003), Readings in Human Development, Oxford University Press, pp. 3–16
- Amartya Sen (1988), "The Concept of Development", in Behram and Strinivasan (eds.) Handbooks of Development Economics. Vol. 1. Elsevier: North-Holland, pp. 3–23.